While working in the City as a training consultant I became fascinated by the Square Mile itself – the traditions, the landmarks and the people who have shaped it.
I enrolled on the City of London Guiding Course and qualified as a City of London Guide. I did this to satisfy my own
curiosity but I soon found myself undertaking walking tours for my City clients. Since then I have also qualified as a Clerkenwell & Islington
Guide. I also lead unique tours of one of the City’s most extraordinary institutions – Smithfield Meat Market.
I find it endlessly rewarding to share my knowledge of the City. One minute we are admiring an imposing piece of architecture, the next we have entered a little-known garden which yields up a story of an intriguing London character. And one of the great pleasures of the walks is the company of you the walkers! Many clients have become personal friends.
My walk portfolio includes:
- Joints, Justice and Journalists – from Smithfield to Fleet Street
- City of Firsts – exploring the City and the many ‘firsts’ that it can claim
- Mysteries of the City’s Livery Companies
- Early Morning Tour of Smithfield Meat Market (please book through City of London Tourist Guides here ) NB: I’m really chuffed that this walk, in its first year, is included in The Guardian’s “10 best guided walks in London” www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/oct/06/10-best-london-guided-walks
Client feedback includes:
- “Diane was so enthusiastic and knowledgeable, her bubbling enthusiasm was so contagious” LD
- “I enjoyed her use of lively anecdotes and engaging details which brought the City to life” PM
- “Our walk was presented in an entertaining and unique way” CP